Costa Coffee – Coffee Quality Specialist
At Costa we are looking for Laboratory technician reporting to the Laboratory manager, to work at our infamous Roastery in Basildon. This role you will be responsible to lead the day-to-day laboratory testing of green coffee & finished roasted coffee samples. If you think this could be you then read along.
A bit about us...
At the heart of Costa Coffee are our values; we believe in Passion, Warmth, Trust and Courage. We are the No 1 coffee brand in the UK and as part of the Coca-Cola Company, we’re on a journey to be the worlds most loved coffee brand, we don’t settle for mediocre. We’ve come a long way from the Costa brothers first roastery in 1971, today we are a total coffee company that delivers amazing coffee to our consumers all over the globe. Along with our much-loved stores, this includes our Express machines, Ready to Drink products, and a long list of friends and partnerships. Costa are proud of our collaborative and inclusive workforce, who continually unlock new growth and innovation
Our roastery in Basildon which is where this role is based, is one of the biggest roasteries in Europe and allows us to produce 45,000 tonnes of coffee a year. This is where all our coffee supplied to the UK and world is roasted and grounded, and we must say it’s a truly fantastic team and site to be part of.
A bit about the role…
Reporting into the Laboratory Manager, you will manage the repository & data capture of all laboratory testing and easy access data base to extrapolate results and trends. You will be required to create, manage & feedback the day-to-day results of all analysis & KPI’s for laboratory manager & senior management insight
You’ll enhance your skills in product investigation and sensorial coffee analysis, whilst capturing the data and acquire knowledge in quality procedures in the food industry. Here’s a few more points about the role.
- Preparing and carrying out raw green coffee testing analysis (physical and sensorial).
- Preparing and carrying FG coffee testing analysis (physical and sensorial).
- Liaise with all third parties to ensure a steady flow of samples throughout the week – reducing a build-up of workload.
- Lead the continuous improvement testing to enable the business to improve cost efficiency & reduce raw material costs.
- Accurate chemical analysis data
- Challenge & question all external laboratory mis-haps to fast track unclear results and optimise laboratory performance.
- Flag & prepare any result mitigations to the laboratory manager to safeguard the business.
- You’ll coordinate & cooperate the day-to-day work amongst the laboratory team and manage the third-party laboratory sample requests
- Create reports of results flagging issues & concerns in time for the Laboratory manager.
- Design & execute laboratory experimental designs to investigate coffee related continuous improvement experiments.
- Manage the data capture of all laboratory testing with easy access to the database to extrapolate results and trends.
- Create, manage & feedback the day-to-day results of all analysis & KPI’s for laboratory manager & senior management.
A bit about you…
To succeed at Costa, it is important that you embrace our values and enjoy working with diverse and committed colleagues. In addition, we would hope to see some of the below:
- Coffee quality assurance experience in coffee cupping and grading
- SCA coffee certificates
- Q Arabica Grader/Q Robusta Grader
- Previously worked or currently working in the coffee industry or food laboratory environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to collaborate and work with cross-functional teams
- Worked in Food Manufacturing and QC
- Experience in New Product Development
- Experience in research
- Sensory and food laboratory analysis, coffee preferable
- A natural leader, you’re able to coordinate the day to day tasks amongst the te
What we can offer...
We’re on an exceptional adventure and can offer a truly purpose led career with flexibility to suit your personal needs. In addition, you will benefit from the below:
- BUPA Healthcare
- Costa Pension Scheme
- Bonus Scheme
- 25% staff discount, including endless free coffee onsite at support office
- 25 days Holidays
At Costa Coffee we celebrate Inclusion and Equality; we believe everyone should bring their true self to work. We advocate collaboration and transparency and embrace differences in all that we do. #nowisthemoment to join.
23 Feb 2021